Friday, April 30, 2010 | By: Reenie

The Book of Questions




It rained today while I was walking to work.

I was wet from the cold winter rain, smiling back at strangers... with Neruda swimming dreamily inside the puddle in my brains... making me, like he always does, recite mentally my favourite lines from The Book of Questions:


Tell me, is the rose naked
or is that her only dress?

Why do trees conceal
the splendour of their roots?

Is there anything in the world sadder
than a train standing in the rain?



And for the thousandth time in my life I wondered if there is indeed anything sadder than the sight of a train standing in the rain? Yes, may be some... but not many that I can think of.

5 thoughts:

Agnes said...

:-)

Have you seen Il Postino {The Postman}? It's about Neruda's (fictional?) stay in Italy -- one of my favorite movies.

imelda said...

after a hot day i love it when it rains, too

Reenie said...

@Agnes,
I have! Years back :). That's where I first learned about Neruda actually!

@Imelda,
I like rain in almost all seasons :). Thank you for visiting me, and 'hi!'

WarmSunshine said...

I have to get myself a copy of this book!

I recently bought a book with the same title. It was fun and very insightful to do it. Thanks for sharing :)

Reenie said...

@ Mehreen,

You are very welcome, my dear. Also, yes please do- do get a copy of the book... it's so worth it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails