Wednesday, April 28, 2010 | By: Reenie

The Ripple Effect


I was looking the sleeping form of my kitten the other day and my mind went back to his day 1.... the little kitten that I saw 1.5 years back while walking past a pet shop in the Central.... way he was looking at me from the shop window with those unusual blue eyes and I stopped to look... I just had to, he was so beautiful!

I know how many humans go insane mad when they hear that I got my kitten from a pet shop, proposing that I should have adopted from shelters instead. I get their point, well... kind of- that everyone should consider adopting from shelters because there are many less than fortunate kittens in the shelter, and that cat breeders who sell through pet shops are sometimes quite irresponsible in their jobs and all that.

Yes, but don’t you see it? It HAD to be him. He was not just any Tom-Dick-or-Harry kitten... he was my Sherkhan- it had to be THAT kitten in the pet shop. Yes, it was THAT very kitten I wanted and it was THAT very name I wanted to give him: Sherkhan.

I can get quite a bull-headed one-track mind occasionally, I know.

But, believe it or not, I always wanted to have a cat named Sherkhan. How wonderful is it that now I do? I call him ‘Shera’ for short though, it means ‘best’ in my native tongue.

Now- I look at his sleeping form sometimes, I watch him play with Crazy and me, I watch him demanding attention, I hear him purring loud, I feel his head-butts and greet him with ‘nosies’ (it’s a cat thing)... and I realize, again and again, how I love to see him grow... and how lucky it is that I did not just walk past the pet shop that evening.

4 thoughts:

Agnes said...

Love at first sight... he was meant to be your kitty cat :-)

Reenie said...

Instant connection :).
It has happened to me more than once. It's like you look at someone and you just know that there is a nice future waiting for you with that person in it!

Sparkle said...

I have a saying: "Cat happens." Most of the time you don't choose the time and place to join your life with a cat. At least, that's the way it is with the best ones. Doesn't matter where Sherkhan came from. It was the right place at the right time.

Reenie said...

@ Sparkle:

Haha... 'cat happens' indeed :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails