Wednesday, August 4, 2010 | By: Reenie

A morning of Smiles, Sparrows and Pigeons

I smiled at that one little sparrow hanging out with a big group of pigeons. It was a rather cute sight... a little brown sparrow with a group of a hundred grey pigeons... and I smiled.

... when I looked up, I saw their human friend smiling at me- the old man with a loaf of bread. He feeds them every day, you know? I know that is one of the reasons why there are always so many morning pigeons in the York Street... they come here for him, for the food, for the love...

It is one of the nicest things of my mornings- wading through though pigeons on my walk to work. I’m thankful to the old man for his pigeons in my mornings... I know that he is the ’Pied piper of Pigeons’ in the beautiful York Street that I love so much...

... but I don’t tell him that; I never was much of a ‘talker’, you see? I just smile back and I walk past... my fashionable brown formal office shoes wading through a hundred pigeons... and that one little brown sparrow... in the silver morning light.

It was a beautiful morning for me. How was your morning, btw?

7 thoughts:

Jacqueline said...

A lovely post and a great photo!...It's awesome of the man to feed them and it says a lot about you that you take the time to notice the beauty of it all...I feed the birds in my back yard every morning too and my cats adore watching them through the windows!...Take care Reenie!

Reenie said...

@ Jacqueline,

I know- the man is wonderful... and I'm not surprised that you feed birds too :). My neighborhood is full of magpies, I don't think those delicate birds get a chance when there are so many magpies. I never knew how vicious magpies can be until I saw them firsthand...

Me-Era* said...

hey! cute picture! :)

Reenie said...

@ Meera,

It is. isn't it! :)

Kea said...

Hi Reenie.

I can imagine myself doing the same thing, feeding the pigeons as I sit on a park bench. :-)

Do you wonder who this man is? If he's had a good life, a content life? If he's widowed, perhaps? If he's lonely?

I would wonder all those things, perhaps chat with him.

BTW, the donation button for Derry's vet bills, which are about 1/3 paid off right now, will go back up when Derry's auction on the CB comes up.

Reenie said...

@ Kea,

Yes, I do wonder; and I have a theory too. I think he lives in the Jehovah's Witness village nearby, and he has a beard... long and white- I sort of think he belongs there? I did not want to say this in the post as it may prejudice my readers somewhat... or maybe not... I think too much anyway :)

As for chatting with him... well, I am a rather 'shy' introvert person, a little reclusive too... it takes a lot of effort for me to start a conversation with a stranger... :)

I don't like myself very often, but at the end of the way- that is the person that I am...

Agnes said...

What a nice way to start your day :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails