Thursday, March 24, 2011 | By: Reenie

One at a Time

My gramma passed away a few years back and up until that point in my life- I never knew what being ‘bereft’ actually meant... and thousands of miles away from where she was, broke- financially and otherwise- and bereft like I was, I discovered that I cannot make 'sympathy' phonecalls.

Sometimes I cannot even receive those calls, I learnt that too.

But today- on the onset of the passing of Elizabeth Taylor- I think I will make one... to my mother- because she always thought Ms. Taylor was absolutely gorgeous...

I realize that the death of a stage icon is so much easier to talk about; than that of the person who walked with you to the elementary school- with your little hand into hers- chuckles, white ribboned plaits, a Popeye school bag, light-blue school uniform and the sunrise for company...

... strange how these memories bring back all sort of other little memories- like how she smelt and how her voice sounded like... and in my mind I kinda relive those magical moments... and makes me wish for moments gone by- not days, mind you- just some moments; some impossibly sweet moments of the distant past.

It will still take some more time, it seems, till I can be ‘okay’ with the impossibility of her death- but I'm getting there- one baby-step at a time... a public blog-post about her, for a start... yup, a post that says that she smelt of Jasmines, she smiled a lot, she was crazy witty, she loved me and I miss her...

... babysteps, indeed, one at a time...
Related Posts with Thumbnails