Monday, July 30, 2012 | By: Reenie

Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps

One of my favourite Bengali authors passed away recently... and it made me very sad...

... even though I'm out of touch from Bengali literature for years and years now, even though it had been a while that I had picked up a Humayun Ahmed book or even looked for a Kindle version, even though it had been years since I had given any thought to the most interesting characters he had created- Himu, Misir Ali and many more...


... but the news of his death brought a few things back and with some help from a friend- I now have all his books to read and re-read; and I am appreciating once more the easy flow of words, the lucid style of writing and the witty off-hand remarks here and there... and I am sometimes transported to rainy Dhaka evenings of my school holidays in another life many many years back...

... because in that life- I had read the same words with warm teacup within my palms, watching the mango trees in monsoon rain and smelling the pages of the newly-bought book... it was a pocket of time where everything was perfect in my otherwise rather imperfect life...

... and I had learnt that perfection exists in moments and hours if not in days and weeks and years... and sometimes... sometimes you don't have to be a kick-ass treasure hunter to find those moments... sometimes those moments are just there in that new book- and perhaps... perhaps all you need to do to catch them is to open the book, curl up with a mug of tea by the window and lose yourself to the moment. 


[Title Credit: Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps- Doris Day]
Related Posts with Thumbnails